Followers

Friday, September 14, 2007

We are in a somber mood this Friday because Mama got a call from an old friend (Aunty W), who asked if she is able to adopt her dog or knew of anyone who could take in the dog. This made mom very sad because she knows the dog and was the one who gave him his name (Benjy). She had also taken care of Benjy for a period of time when he was a wee pup and he was in a way the very first dog in her life. Benjy is a Maltese X Shih-Tzu like me and he is 3 months older. (yes, I know we do look alike but I swear it is NOT ME!!)

Mama felt that Benjy had a pretty sad story and life… it’s not that he had been mistreated or anything, but mama felt that he had never enjoyed much ‘quality life’ in terms of the lack of attention and love, and she always felt that she had a part to play.

Had mama been successful in convincing Aunty W to let her adopt Benjy 8 years ago, mama and papa would not have gotten me. So for me, it’s a blessing in disguise, but for Benjy, it’s just the opposite. Imagine this – Now I am leading the life that could’ve been Benjy’s!! He could’ve been the one who has a blog, who gets to make so many new friends, who gets to eat home-cooked food, who gets to receive so many presents on his barkday, who gets spoiled-rotten, who gets all the attention from the family, who is the ‘Prince of the House’, who gets a new toy ever so often, who gets all the unconditional love, …. So in a way, mama had always felt guilty towards Benjy. She is not sure if he ever got any toys after he left her care.. or if he ever had a barkday celebration in his life...

Benjy is confined to a small garden outside the house most of the time. He does get his food and water, but very minimal attention and interaction with the family. (Hey, we deserve more than just that right?!!) Anyway, Aunty W got married and moved out of the family home. She now has another dog living with her and her family does not want to care for Benjy anymore. So the poor guy is now looking for a new home. Mom is pretty upset with Aunty W, but there's not much she can say because it's not that Benjy had been mistreated. We know that it will not be easy trying to find someone to take Benjy because he is not exactly a young pup anymore.. we only hope that Benjy can find a family who deserves his love and will love him in return for the rest of his life.

This also serves as a reminder to people out there who wants to buy a pet at the spur of the moment... a pet is a long term commitment! If you are not prepared to give it all the love and attention that it deserves, then do not bring it home!

*****************************************

Name:
Benjy
Breed: Maltese X Shih-Tzu
Gender: Male
Barkday: May 1999
Character: Playful, loves food, sweet and loving nature

(pics. taken in 1999)

28 comments:

Girl Girl Hamster said...

Benjy looks such a sweet boy. I hope he'll find a good furever home soon. *sigh* all hoomans really should be prepared to be responsible owners before they get pets

~ Girl girl

Luckie Girl said...

Aww man...Benjy looks like your brother! I wish I knew someone who could help him. Do you have any recent piktures of him? I think that'd help too!

Urban Smoothie Read said...

benjy had such lovely coat....n bet he will be adopted fast

chiyo said...

poor benjy, it's difficult to convince people who don't see dogs in the same way as us to show them as much love and care.

is benjy still black and white now? or has he changed color a little like Huskee?

love..
chiyo

Stanley said...

Huskee Boy!

Benjy looks like a very cool pup! I sure hope he finds a home soon. Is he staying with Aunty W's family (the fam that doesn't want him) until he finds a new home?

Too bad Aunty W never knew what a great boy she had while she had him!

You're a good buddy to try to help him out. Doesn't Moosie need a pet?

Goober love,
Stanley

Myeo said...

Both of you look so alike... We bet he must be as cute as you.

We just dont understand why they do not want him. We hope he will be adopted soon. He deserves a good home with lots of love.

Love
Boy n Baby

Boo Casanova said...

poor benjy. i hope he gets a NEW & IMPROVED home soon. i'm glad aunty w volunteery give him up for adoption instead of sending him to the shelter or worse, leave him in the street.

wet wet licks

Boo

Kien said...

This is very sad.. i hate to see another doggie not wanted in the family and need to give away.. i just dun understand!...

Hope Benjy will have his happy life ahead with his future owner..

Cheers
Rossi

Simba and Jazzi said...

Poor Benji, it happens all the time and its so sad. Dogs are for life don't people realise that? I think maybe we are a bit spoiled though. lol.


Simba xx

Snowball said...

Poor Benjy.

By any chance can your family adopt him? :p

Luv,
Snowball

Molly the Airedale said...

Poor Benjy! I hope he finds his forever home soon. He looks like such a sweet boy!

Love ya lots,
Maggie

Amber-Mae said...

Oh poor boy...Wish he had everything what we are all having now. Everything that a dog needs & wants in his/her life. It may not be easy to find him a new home now coz he's quite a all dog now. Maybe your mom wouldn't mind bringing him home. He would probably be a GREAT older brother to you.

Love licks,
Solid Gold Dancer

Ruby Bleu said...

Oh Huskee...that is so sad. Benjy looks like such a sweet boy. Tell your Mama not to beat herself up over this...it's not her fault...she gave him love.

I will send good Ruby thoughts that he finds a good and loving home soon!

Lots of Licks, Ruby

Bella said...

Oh sweet little Benjy.
Can't he stay with you Huskee?
If not then I wish for some good luck in his life to find a happy forever home.
Wuffs
Bella

Chilli the Dog said...

Poor Benjy...I hope he finds a forever home soon. A forever home juz like yours with all the love and attention and treats and pressies and belly rubs..

Grrr...i dont like homans who give up their pets when they're "done" with the cuteness. I hope Aunty W will not do the same thing with the dog she has now. Otherwise...I dont think she deserves to have a dog's love.

All the best Benjy...sorry mama cant take you. She has her hands full with me...hiak...hiak...

Wet licks

Chilli

p(ee)s...huskee...please feel free to come to my pawty. The more the merrier :)

Amber said...

Benjy deserves much better. I really hope he can find a more responsible owner that cares and loves him.

Unknown said...

huskee we feel so so sad...
this histori is terrible..
we hope, the doggie will find a new house quickly

Lorenza said...

Hi, Huskee
I really hope Benjy can find a lovely home with a good family who takes care of him!
His story makes me feel so sad!
Besos
Lorenza

Jackson's J1 and J2 said...

Poor Benjy. I hope he finds a loving forever home soon. J x

Lizzy said...

Liizy: Oh, poor Benjy! My heart goes out to him. I agree that when you want to adopt an animal, you have to know that it is at least a 10 year commitment. Poor Benjy, he needs lots of love! I hope he gets adopted into a nice, loving home soon.

Sparky: Uh... nevermind, Lizzy said everything that I was going to say.

Sparky

Ben & Darling said...

Benjy looks such a sweet boy, mayb you can keep him?? I know its hard to share but he looks like an easy going one.

T-man Angel said...

What a cute little pup that Benjy is!! Is he living in Singapore now? I hope somebody can adopt him. Do you think your mom would be able to adopt him? You'd look so cute together :)

PreciOus said...

Hi Huskee, poor Benjy deserves a better home. I hope he'll find it soon.

Snuggle,
Precious

Anonymous said...

Humans are so stupid sometimes. I hope Benjy finds a fabulous home to live out his retirement years in as a well loved member of the family - and NOT as a garden ornament.

River

Marvin -The Hollow Hound said...

oh we have tears in our eyes about poor Benjy. I hope he finds good parents real soon.

As they say here in the UK - A Dog is for Life not just for Christmas.....

love and sad licks, Marv xxxxxx

Asta said...

Huskee
This stowy makes me vewy vewy sad..how can people do such a thing..leaving a little doggie alone without love and attention IS mistweatment..food and watew awe not enough..poor little Benjy..I hope someone finds it in their heawt to adopt him, he looks like a vewy nice little boy..it's sweet of you to tell us about him and be so cawing..I'm sowwy I live so faw
smoochie kisses and cwossed paws
Asta

Scrappy and Pebbles said...

Awww he looks a real cutie. Kudos to your Aunt for at least trying to rehome him. I hope he finds his forever home soon.

hugs
Scrappy and Pebbles

ToFFee said...

that's soooo sad about Benjy.. my pawrents are always feeling sorry for me when they leave me all the time.. they get soo guilty they take me to places on weekends..

Benjy looks soo sweet.. I hope I can take him in.. I would love to have a brudder.. but he is in Singapore.. maybe I can go there and live with you instead.. hope he get's to find a good home soon..

saw your post on mooncake.. my pawrents missed that soo much.. especially back at manila they have different toppings of mooncake.. mom loves the one with the nuts and egg..

sorry I have been missing time to blog lately..

Wuffs!
Toffee (Hi to Moosie too - did you get to unwrap Ume's pressie?)